Just yesterday, as I was clearing off my desk, I ran across a blog item from the Harvard Business Review I had printed out last year. After quickly re-reading the blog (http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/02/nine_things_successful_people.html ), I began thinking about how this information applies to the VGL team members. As consultants, I don’t believe we can be effective for our clients if we are not practicing the same principals both in our personal lives, as well as our professional service offerings. If you can’t tell, I don’t subscribe to the saying “Those that can do, those that can’t consult”.
In the article, Nine Things Successful People Do Differently, Heidi Grant Halvorson discusses her observations as to the actions taken by individuals that set them apart. I’d like to share a few of Heidi’s observations and demonstrate how the VGL team incorporates these qualities into the services they provide for our customers:
1) Get specific – setting goals that are specific. At the onset of client engagements, we document requirements and establish success measures to ensure both client and consultant are on the same page. I’ve said this more times than anyone wants to hear ….You can’t manage what you don’t measure.
2) Seize the moment to act on your goals. Create a roadmap of smaller tasks/work units documenting how you will get to that end goal. Good thing several of the VGL team members are certified Project Management Professionals. With more than 15 years of project management experience, each of our team leaders know how to develop realistic and achievable projects plans.
3) Know exactly how far you have left to go. Part of effective project management is a vigilant watch over the actual performance as compared to the plan. Sure things don’t always happen exactly as planned, but a close monitoring allows for early course adjustments in order to bring the end goal back in sight.
4) Be a realistic optimist. While having a positive/can-do attitude is important, so is be realistic and not underestimating the effort. While the VGL team has broad and deep experience, both in skills and industries, if we are unsure or unfamiliar with a project, we will reach out to our alliances to bring in the necessary knowledge. If we don’t have, or can’t find, we will let you know…and of course, that’s before the engagement begins.
5) Focus on getting better, rather than being good. Striving to increase your knowledge and abilities allows each of us to make better choices in our daily lives. The same holds true for the VGL team. We embrace the constant learning approach. Whether it is OCM, Project Management or technology, we make the time to keep our skills and certifications current and relevant.
6) Have grit. Be willing to commit to the long-haul and realize there will always be challenges along the way. VGL will help formulate the right strategy, and develop/monitor/adjust the plans to get you to your desired destination.
I encourage you to read the entire entry, as it is full of excellent suggestions. Oh yes, and if you are in need of consulting services in the areas of Business Startup/Restructure, Change Management, or Technology, please contact Vision Generation Lab. It would be our pleasure to assist you in transforming your business concept to reality.